When it comes to safety while hunting or target shooting with air rifles you can never be too cautious. Bb’s or pellets are very dangerous and especially so with some of the high powered air rifles that reach up to 1000 fps and sometimes even above. You would be surprised how much damage one of these guns can actually cause. It would be unfortunate to accidentally shoot yourself, another person, or any object that wasn’t meant to be shot at due to not following basic air rifle safety. With that being said, after reading the tips below you should be well on your way to becoming a safe, responsible air rifle user.
Air Rifle Safety Precautions & Tips
- Wear appropriate eye protection at all times.
- Air rifles are not toys. Do not play with them.
- Never point the gun in a direction you do not mean to shoot at.
- Keep the safety on until you are ready to fire your air rifle.
- When you are not using the rifle store it unloaded in a safe, out of reach place.
- Avoid causing the pellets to ricochet after being fired.
- Treat the gun as if it were fully loaded at all times.
- Keep your finger away from the trigger until the exact moment you are ready to shoot.
- Before shooting, check your target and the area surrounding it.
- Never drink prior to or while using an air rifle.